Subject: Anyone with an 030 using the FPU emulator?
From: O'NEEL Bruce <beoneel@bluewin.ch>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/2002 14:43:38
Hi,

I'm blessed? with a PB540c which I'm trying to run NetBSD on.  I've
gotten a somewhat functioning system up using the 1.5SBC kernel with
the 1.5.2 base and etc binary sets.  The problem, as always, is the
bloody LC040.

I have a question for those of you who run the FPE using an 030.  When
I boot my dmesg has a line of the form

fpu0 at mainbus0 (emulator)

what does your line say?

Why do I care?  I was looking at the mac68k locore.s file and when we
task switch we check to see if we have a fpu.  If we do, we save the
fp registers, else not.  Sensible.  Except that the variable fputype
is set to 0 both for no fpu as well as emulator.  I wondered if this
might be the problem?  Maybe not.  Once I hack some more I can test
this, but it's tough to build a kernel when awk falls over :-) Off to
build a libc where the calls generated by -msoft-fpu really are
emulated :-)

Other than the fpu problem the pb540 (and probably the 520) works fine
except when I set a netmask of 255.255.252.0 and then I almost always
get a hang right after I try to telnet in.

NetBSD is quite nice.  It brings back fond memories of SunOS 3.5.

Thanks!

cheers

bruce

--
Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C
or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden

Bruce O'Neel                       phone:  +41 22 950 91 46 (fow now)
INTEGRAL Science Data Centre               +41 22 950 91 00 (switchb.)
Chemin d'Ecogia 16                 fax:    +41 22 950 91 33
CH-1290 VERSOIX                    e-mail: Bruce.Oneel@obs.unige.ch
Switzerland                        WWW:    http://isdc.unige.ch/