Subject: Re: Quadra 840AV Question...
To: Peter H. Froehlich <pfroehli@ics.uci.edu>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/2002 00:54:29
> Hi there!

Hi, and welcome!

> I am new to this list, so please don't grill me immediately. :-) I
> have a Quadra 800 and a Quadra 840AV standing around and I want to
> put NetBSD on one of them.

Sounds good.

> So far I thought that the 840AV would be the "best" machine for
> this as it is the fastest Apple 68k machine out there. However,
> reading over some of the docs on the netbsd.org website I noticed
> that the 800 is actually supported better than the 840AV,
> especially when it comes to networking and audio. Is that still the
> case or is the document on the website just out of date (I think
> it's from 1998)?

Most of the AV SCSI bugs have been worked out, and NetBSD 1.5.3, which
should be coming within a few weeks, will work fine with the 840AV.

Regarding networking, AV networking has always (at least for more than a
year) been fine. No problems with that.

> Any hints would be welcome, as would be contact with someone who is
> running NetBSD on a 840AV and would be willing to chat with me
> about it by email.

There were some bugs regarding the AV SCSI, so if you want a pre-compiled
kernel that will work perfectly with your AV, let me know.

Otherwise, the two machines are both excellent NetBSD machines.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs