Subject: Re: openssh-3.0.2.1 package
To: Tom Jernigan <jernigantc@ornl.gov>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/2002 16:38:01
Hi,

> >release-1-5 release=allsrc host=sup.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp/pub \
> >base=/usr prefix=/usr backup use-rel-suffix compress
>
> Q1: Does release-1-5 work for NetBSD 1.5.2?

Yes. The release tree is basically the latest stable source tree. 1.5,
1.5.1, and 1.5.2 are just points on the release tree.

Technically, release-1-5 right this moment is called 1.5.3-ALPHA. But
don't let the usual connotation of the word "alpha" fool you - it's stable
through and through. It's not that kind of alpha!

> Q2: allsrc sounds like it will fill up my poor little 700 MB drive in a hurry.

I have a few machines with small drives, too; I usually clear off pkgsrc,
sup the tree, rebuild the whole tree, then kernel, then remove the tree to
make space for other things.

This is an especially good idea since there is a new security advisory;
doing this will fix any possible problems, although they're unlikely to be
exploitable.

> Q3: If I switch from current (my present coll.list setting) to
> release-1-5, do I just delete my present pkgsrc and rerun sup?

pkgsrc and allsrc are different. pkgsrc exists in current because it's
always changing; the pkgsrc.tar.gz from each release (1.5, 1.5.1, 1.5.2)
is kept for some reason, but I don't know why. I've never tried pkgsrc on
the release tree, though; no reason.

700 megs should be enough to get the allsrc tree and build it.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs