Subject: Re: new snapshot
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/2002 14:12:41
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> : So let me see if I understand something... You could enable EXEC_ELF32
> : on an a.out kernel, and it would be harmless to a.out binaries,
> : because all the old syscalls still have a.out struct alignment -- but
> : you can't really run ELF binaries until you've *built* and *booted* an
> : ELF kernel, because there is no COMPAT_ELF_M68K? (Catch-22?)
>
> Correct.  ELF binaries will align structs on a wider bit boundary for
> several syscalls.  It's not a catch-22, since you can build an ELF m68k
> kernel easily with the new toolchain on any host platform.  (The a.out->ELF
> transition is meant to be one-way.)

Now I see! For the record, that can be done as follows:

    1) Build a toolchain with

	cd /usr/src
	./build.sh -t

    2) Assuming the target is NetBSD-1.5ZA-m68k, do

	PATH=/usr/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.5ZA-m68k/bin:$PATH
	cd /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf
	nbconfig GENERIC
	cd /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
	nbmake dependall USETOOLS=yes > mklog 2>&1 &

Frederick