Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD.... inc. apology :)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/2002 13:16:33
On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:03:52PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> At 19:23 10/01/2002, you wrote:
> >On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 06:48:25PM -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:
> >
> > > - time server (there be dragons here)
> >
> >completely unusable unless you want to break out the SMT soldering
> >gear, razor, and magnet wire to swap physical interrupt lines.  apple
> >in their infinite stuck-in-1984 wisdom decided that the clock
> >interrupt takes lowest priority, and if you're getting network
> >traffic or disk I/O, the clock interrupt gets starved out and NTP
> >can't really deal with it.
>
> DOH! What kinda screwed up logic is that - would the clock really slow
> the hard disk or network down THAT much?

well if you're a single-tasking / cooperative multitasking single user
system, a clock interrupt isn't terribly important, since there's no
problem with the current task taking overhead of calling all the way
down to the hardware RTC to get wallclock time.

          "Making people dance so hard their pants almost fall
                 off is kind of fun."  -- David Evans