Subject: Re: ae0: device timeout on 1.5.x
To: NetBSD/mac68k list <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/03/2002 21:29:13
On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:25:41PM -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
> Hmmm...  The video interrupt for the 24S is likely to be similar to one
> of the other RasterOps cards.  I see support for the video interrupt for
> the 8/24 XLi, 24XlTV, 24MxTV, and PaintBoard Prism GT 1.0.  If you're at
> least a C dabbler, you could try adding support for the 24S by making it
> look something like the 24LXI in grf_nubus.c (add a case for it around
> line 314 in the -current grf_nubus.c).

Good suggestion, but unfortunately, neither worked.  When configured
like the 24LXi, the kernel panicked at boot just after configuring
fpu0 (and before adb0).  When configured as the PaintBoard Prism GT,
the kernel hung at the same point.

Looks like I'll have to spend more time in MacsBug... ;)  I've at
least now found where the video driver calls SIntInstall and am now
trying to track down the address of the interrupt handler...

For the record, the 24S (and the 8S, which is identical, but with less
VRAM) was marketed as a low cost, non-accelerated, 24-bit color card
for its day (about $450 around 1990, IIRC).  It supports 1, 8 and
24-bit color at 640x480, as well as a virtual 1024x512 and 2048x512
(image size is still 640x480) with hardware pan and zoom.  It came out
after the Colorboard 364, but preceded all the boards you mentioned
above.

John