Subject: Re: Imaging.
To: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/03/2002 16:27:31
> On a related subject, would it be feasable to use a BSD-type partition
> table if MacOS isn't going to be installed on the system?

	The next Booter (2.0.0a6) will support booting from a volume
which has a disklabel instead of a MacOS partition table.
(thanks to Christian Groessler for the code).

	I may be able to FTP it tonight.

> Actually, I've been wondering. Why is it that the Booter requires the
> system to be in 32-bit mode anyway, given the existance of this API?

1) As far as I know, is it the kernel that requires the system
   to be in 32bit mode. The Booter just enforces this requirement.

2) If you go back to an old enough Booter (e.g. 1.8) then you can
   try and boot in 24bit addressing and see how badly it crashes.
   I think that you need to build a really old kernel (pre 1.2?)
   to work with a Booter that old, though.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au    |    "Things  you  own        |
| Telstra iDevelopments, Sydney, Australia |     end up owning you"      |