Subject: Re: Imaging.
To: 'MacBSD' <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/2002 21:59:31
Greetings!

>I've got my NetBSD server pretty much set up how I want it now, What I
>would like to do is make a TAR image of the box.
>
>What I would like to know is, If I tar and gzip the / partition, can I use
>the installer to push the setup directly back onto the box should it
>"hose" itself? What are the implications of doing this?
>
>Anyone done this?

If you mount an MFS as /, you can disklabel, newfs, etc.
your (hosed) disk.  Then, mount it at, e.g., /mnt...
    cd /mnt
    tar xzpf /wherever_your_tarball_resides (e.g., /dev/mt0)
Note that the tarball won't include the boot blocks.  So,
you will need to reinstall them (assuming your drive was
*completely* hosed) before you could reboot to it.

Have I forgotten anything?

*Ouch!*  This is netbsd-mac68k... I'm not sure how you
deal with the damn MacOS "boot partition"  :-(  I wonder if
it isn't easier to just do a SCSI copy to restore the entire
drive (including the MacOS partition)...?

--don