Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD....
To: Don Yuniskis" , "Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/2002 03:01:20
At 8:57 PM -0700 12/31/01, Don Yuniskis wrote:
>Hmmm... can I ask why you gave each machine two names?
>Neither appear to be dual homed... ?

No particular reason...just nice to have optioms ;-)

>Yes.  And, depending on your ISP, if that bogus domain name
>starts appearing in the envelope of your outbound email, your
>ISP's mail server may decide to reject mail from you (been
>there, done that, got the T-shirt to prove it...)

Yeah, uou should either not run a mailserver or should use the
masquerade-as directive.

>Note that CNAMEs can be a problem with some tools.

Probably 75% of all DNS names are CNAMEs...I've never found anything
that couldn't be done with them. The figure wasn't based on any
statistic...just the fact that most computers have at least 1
CNAME...many have multiple CNAMEs. There are many sites, for
instance, with a single computer acting as www.x.com, ftp., pop3.,
smtp., mail., etc. Also, most web hosting services host numerous
websites on each computer, often with name-based virtual hosting.
This wouldn't work if there were issues with using CNAMEs.

>  >As you don't own any real domains, your changes should not propogate
>  >outside your network, so you can't cause any harm to the "real"
>
>Note also the mail issue....

noted...I should have covered that.

>  >>If it's any motivation the very existence of my LCIII depends on this....
>>
>  >Hehe, I'll take it if you're done with it :P
>
>Yeah, it would look great on the back of your *bike*!!  :>

Hehe, sure :-)

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.