Subject: network settings
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan La Riviere <larz@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/08/2001 15:36:55
Hey all,

I have something stupid happening.

I re-setup a Q840AV at home (had previously built the box in the office and had no problems and had brought it home and after some changes had no network problems) with 1.5.2 and it seems to be having some weird network issues now.  I have freshly reformatted and installed everything.

For the first minute or so after the machine has booted, I can use the network.  I can ping, nslookup, ftp, etc.  After that minute or so, I can no longer do anything on the net.  I get disconnected from anything I'm doing.  If I try to ssh into the machine after that service has started (of which I get secure connection refused), I can't do anything on the network after logging in at the console.

My home network is run by an Airport base station which is setup for NAT and DHCP (in the 10.0.1.x range).

Here are my ifconfig settings:
zanzabar: {13} ifconfig -a
mc0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	address: 08:00:07:fc:e7:01
lo0: [standard stuff]

My /etc/resolv.conf is setup correctly.

My rc.conf is as follows:
hostname="zanzabar"
defaultroute="10.0.1.1"
ifconfig_mc0="inet 10.0.1.51 netmask 255.255.255.0"

sshd=YES

10.0.1.1 is the IP of my base station doing the NAT.

I don't have anything else running.  I haven't even been able to connect into the machine remotely with ssh.  I can ping it from another machine though.

I don't know where I should look for what is causing the problem.  It seems like there is something that is coming on line roughly a minute after the machine is fully up.  This sounds very weird.
--

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ryan La Riviere

System Administrator; Drexel University