Subject: Re: SUCCESS! and more questions ( was Re: Info Sources for sysinst/68k?)
To: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/2001 20:00:38
On 11/30/01 10:32 AM, CARL.P.HIRSCH@sargentlundy.com
(CARL.P.HIRSCH@sargentlundy.com) wrote:

>Well, I just installed last night using sysinst and I can say with a high
>level of certainty that as far as I'm concerned sysinst should be the
>preferred method. Install went approximately 6 times faster than if I had
>used the MacOS installer. File copies were MUCH faster using sysinst. I
>already had my disk partitioned so I didn't have to worry about using
>sysinst to partition. Also, I no longer encountered the ttyE0 problem when
>booting into multi-user.

Installing via sysinstall is much faster and has the added benefit that
it's all done under NetBSD.  Any changes in the drivers, install process,
utilities, etc are all picked up automatically by this method.  The
drawback of the old Mkfs/Installer method is that they use an old set of
disk I/O routines that only know about the old FFS format.  Mkfs hasn't
imported any of the bug fixes or changes that have been made to newfs in
NetBSD over the years.

Do keep in mind that the filesystem created by sysinst on your system is
_NOT_ totally compatible with the Installer.  If you attempt to install
any new files with the Installer it may appear to work but in all
likelyhood will end up corrupting your filesystem.

>I am VERY pleased with sysinst compared to the MacOS installer. I want to
>thank Bob Nestor for making that install document available.

Glad you found it useful.  The installation notes were intended to become
part of the standard INSTALL document but they were generated for a 1.3.2
or 1.4 system when I did the original sysinstall code.  For various
reasons the code didn't make it into the released system and the
documentation changes kind of got behind the newer versions of the files
they were intended to update.

A very good project for a new user interested in giving something back to
the Project would be to bring the documentation changes up to date with
the current files.  I can provide copies of the change files, so if
someone wants to volunteer they should drop me an e-mail.

-bob