Subject: Re: Performa 475 back to LCIII
To: Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/2001 20:48:37
--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:31:16AM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> Hmmm... I'll have to settle for floppies for now :) I have the=20
> indignant task of having to go out and buy floppy disks, or I could=20
> poach a stack off of my dad.

Ewwww. You're aware of just how many floppies that's going to be,
right?

If you can get the install media files onto the Mac OS partition
(modem?), you can install from there. Probably less painful.

> Don't worry, Mac OS 7.5.5 will have a whole 80MB (more than enough=20
> IIRC) hard disk for itself. I ma using a 2.1GB external IBM drive=20
> (I hope) to do the NetBSD bit.

Fair enough. Remember that, as opposed to the second power mac
generation (the x500s and kin), that machine has only one SCSI bus,
so make sure you set the external to be something that's not 0.

> Does anyone know about upgrading the LCs to 68MB or 132MB?=20
> LowEndMac, and various other FAQs, say it can be done but will=20
> NetBSD recognise it all? Any UK sources for 128MB 72pin 80ns RAM?

NetBSD will see any and only hardware that Mac OS initializes. So,
if the RAM shows up under 7.5.5, it'll be there under NetBSD.

Do you have a pointer to those expanded LC III directions? Does it
just involve cramming in large SIMMs, or is there soldering/jumpering=20
involved?

Can't help much on the UK sources part...

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms--