Subject: Re: Performa 475....
To: Mac 68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/2001 09:40:43
On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 08:55 AM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:16:48PM -0500, John Klos wrote:
>> The Performa 475 is MUCH faster, but requires a real 68040 with
>> real FPU
>> since FPU emulation is broken (unless you want every other
>> process to core
>> dump...).
>
> NetBSD's FPU emulation is just fine and works on a wide variety of
> processor architectures (including every FPU-less 68k except the
> LC040). The 68LC040 is broken in such a way that it's not particularly
> easy to emulate FPU on it at all, and certainly not the way we do
> it.
>
> As far as the real 040... definitely get one. I've not seen them on
> bidding web sites, but I haven't looked since I got the one for my
> Performa 636 a few (erm, five? eek) years ago. I found mine (at a
> very reasonable price) by scrounging the online second-hand mac
> hardware shops. (There're actually pretty many of these. Most of
> them tied to brick-n-mortar shops located in the midwest, primarily
> Missouri and Texas. Go figure.)

Aaahhh jeezzzz. I guess that rules out an LC/Performa 475 then. I'm
not up for finding a newCPU and stuff for it, I live in the UK so
this stuff is to hard to get my hands on. I'll stick to looking for
LCIIIs then.... Speed isn't an issue, it's only doing DNS.
Alternatively, are their any LC style Macs that do work and have
040s in?

--

Mark Benson

aka
	SiliconValleyPirate (EveryMac)
	Kane_NUFC (Yahoo! Messenger)
	SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
	AirportMan (ICQ - 70745942)

"Every security scheme that is based on secrets eventually fails."
		- Steve Jobs, 2001
Thanks to Michael Sitarzewski