Subject: Re: Performa 475....
To: Mark Benson , John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/2001 03:55:30
--fWddYNRDgTk9wQGZ

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:16:48PM -0500, John Klos wrote:
> The Performa 475 is MUCH faster, but requires a real 68040 with real FPU
> since FPU emulation is broken (unless you want every other process to core
> dump...).

NetBSD's FPU emulation is just fine and works on a wide variety of
processor architectures (including every FPU-less 68k except the
LC040). The 68LC040 is broken in such a way that it's not particularly
easy to emulate FPU on it at all, and certainly not the way we do
it.

As far as the real 040... definitely get one. I've not seen them on
bidding web sites, but I haven't looked since I got the one for my
Performa 636 a few (erm, five? eek) years ago. I found mine (at a
very reasonable price) by scrounging the online second-hand mac
hardware shops. (There're actually pretty many of these. Most of
them tied to brick-n-mortar shops located in the midwest, primarily
Missouri and Texas. Go figure.)

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--fWddYNRDgTk9wQGZ