Subject: Re: Performa 475....
To: Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/2001 21:16:48
> As a consequence of the assignment I was doing I missed the bid on
> the LCIII so it's going to be that one. Instead I am lining up a
> Performa 475 that needs a new PRAM battery (I think).
>
> Any diffrerences I should be aware of, apart from the obviously
> different CPU and FPU?

The Performa 475 is MUCH faster, but requires a real 68040 with real FPU
since FPU emulation is broken (unless you want every other process to core
dump...).

If you're handy with a soldering iron, a battery clip for two AAA will do
in place of the PRAM battery, and a 20 MHz oscillator and some heat sink
compound will get it running at 40 MHz.

Nice machines... Let me know if you want details about running it at 40
MHz.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs