Subject: Re: Info Sources for sysinst/68k?
To: None <CARL.P.HIRSCH@sargentlundy.com>
From: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/2001 19:07:03
On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 03:17  pm,
CARL.P.HIRSCH@sargentlundy.com wrote:

> I just tried installing 1.5.2 from an ISO image onto a Quadra 700 with
> 20
> megs of RAM and a 1gig Seagate drive.
>
> The install itself looks to go okay, and I can boot into single user
> fine.
>
> Every time I boot into single user I'm advised to run fsck. Is this
> normal?
>
> When booting into multiuser mode, there seems to be some problem with
> tty
> configuration. One of the boot messages states that /dev/ttyE0 cannot be
> found. After googling about some, I found out that the "make devices"
> function in the MacOS installer isn't quite up to par, and that one
> should
> run the MAKEDEV all script to create ttyE0 in addition to ttye0. I tried
> this, but I still hang on multiuser boot. The last boot message is
> "starting cron" and then the system time... then nothing.
>
> Googling through the archives I noticed that the MacOS installer isn't
> always the preferred method for setup, that many are of the opinion that
> sysinst is a better option. If sysinst is covered in the Install
> document
> or any of the install guides I saw, I must have missed it. Can anybody
> point to me installation instructions for NetBSD 68k which cover
> sysinst?
> FAQs? Manpages?
>
> Thanks much.

Hello Carl,

Bob Nestor has the installation notes on his FTP site
<ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/sysinst/>, maybe we should get them linked
from the main page? You may also want to have a read through any of the
other Ports' guides (i386, for example), since they cover sysinst and on
the whole, it's fairly similar.

As yet though, sysinst it isn't the 'preferred' method, hence the
apparent lack of enthusiasm for it.

All the best,

~ Matthew