Subject: periodics cause off-local-network traffic
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Byan, Stephen <Stephen_Byan@Maxtor.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/2001 09:55:25
I'm sure this is a RTFM question, but there's too much FM to R. My netBSD
box is connected to my home lan, which is NAT'd to a dialup PPP link (using
a MacIIci running Sustainable Softworks IPNetRouter). I have a host file on
all the local machines, and I believe the NetBSD resolver is set up to check
/etc/hosts first. I do not have a local DNS server; I use the one at my ISP.
Something in the periodics (I suspend sendmail) brings up the dialup link
via a UDP packet.

What is generating the off-lan traffic? (A DNS lookup from sendmail,
perhaps?)

How do I make it stop doing that?

Thanks.

Regards,