Subject: Re: quadra 630 ide support
To: Takeshi Shibagaki <sibagaki@lsi.melco.co.jp>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/2001 18:09:27
	Takeshi proposed:

> And, What environ variable does Booter return for IDE?
> It's ROOT_ATA_ID? If it is, we should add

	Good suggestion.

	My question is how do we encode the buss & device.
Three suggestions:

Buss/channel Drive/ID | ROOT_ATA_ID(a)  (b)   ROOT_ATA_DEV(c)
----------------------+--------------------------------------
     0          0     |       0         0,0      wdc0,0
     0          1     |       1         0,1      wdc0,1
     1          0     |       2?        1,0      wdc1,0
     1          1     |       3?        1,1      wdc1,1
----------------------+--------------------------------------

	I suspect that we should have something similar to
what the kernel uses, which would mean something like (c).
I eagerly await peoples' discussions and votes.

	While we are at it, maybe we can add something to the
SCSI variable:

Controller  Disk ID  LUN | ROOT_SCSI_ID(a)  ROOT_SCSI_DEV(c)
-------------------------+----------------------------------
internal       0      0  |       0            scsibus0,0
   ,,          6      0  |       6            scsibus0,6
external       1      0  |       9?           scsibus1,1
nubus card    15      1  |       ?            scsibus2,15,1?

	Lots of assumptions there, but once we get fast SCSI
cards working, everyone will want them (eBay will be busy!),
so it would be nice to have the facility beforehand.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au    |    "Things  you  own        |
| Telstra iDevelopments, Sydney, Australia |     end up owning you"      |