Subject: Re:quadra 630 ide support
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Takeo Kuwata <tkuwata@virus.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/2001 10:59:10
Sorry, I directly mailed to Nigel. This is the mail that Nigel reply to.

I can use NetBSD on my Performa 630 without SCSI devices using kernel with IDE
patch, which were made by Takeshi Shibagaki. (Please refer "Re: AV Weirdness".)

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ie9t-sbgk/NetBSD/ide_support/netbsd+wdc+espfix-1.5Y.
gz

SCSI HD or other SCSI device is needed to install, but NetBSD can work without
SCSI device after the install.
My install procedure is as following.

1) Make "root & usr", "swap" and "MacOS" patitions in IDE HD.
2) Boot NetBSD (netbsd+wdc+espfix-1.5Y) in SCSI HD.
3) newfs /dev/wd0a (="root & usr" patition in IDE HD)
4) mount wd0a.
5) "pax" binary files to wd0a.
6) MAKEDEV all. (IDE patched MAKEDEV)
7) Boot from "netbsd+wdc+espfix-1.5Y.gz" in "MacOS" partition with a check in
"ask for alternate root/swap?".
8) select "wd0a" for root in the booting process.

>> Also, the mac68k booter and the mkfs utilities included with Netbsd 1.5.1
>> seem to only work with scsi drives. Is there an ide compatible version of
>> mkfs and the booter or an alternative to these utilities?
>
>	MkFs and Installer, no. (I have started on the Installer,
>but currently it just crashes, though that was in Classic under OS X!)
>
>	Booter, yes. It is somewhere under here:
>http://homepage.mac.com/nigelpearson

I used "Booter1.11.5a3" and "Booter2.0.0a3".
However, I can not directory boot kernel in IDE HD.
Do these Booters support booting from IDE HD?

A check on ATA for Root device works, but did not automaticaly select wd0a.
I am very happy if booter can recognize wd0a as a root.
Is it possible?

Thanks,

tkuwata (Takeo Kuwata)
e-mail: tkuwata@mac.com