Subject: Re: booting custom kernel
To: None <charlie.root@pandora.be>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/2001 10:03:04
On Monday, November 26, 2001, at 11:32  PM, charlie.root@pandora.be=20
wrote:
> second, the problem seems to appear somewhere between -start loading =
the
> kernel into memory- and -start the bootprocess-, which would be task =
of
> the booter app, but then again, if the booter is the problem, how can =
it
> be affected by the kernel configuration?

     Well, if the kernel doesn't have the globals for the screen memory
locations, for example, the Booter will not be able to write into those
globals, and the executing kernel will never be able to display output.
And if the kernel doesn't have valid code at the entry point, then the
kernel will never execute.

     Either way, it may seem that the Booter has hung, but it hasn't.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au   | =93Now the world has gone to=20=

bed, |
| Telstra iDevelopments, Sydney Australia |  Darkness won=92t engulf my=20=

head, |
|   Office: 9206 3468    Fax:  9212 6329  |  I can see by=20
infrared,         |
|   Mobile: 0408 664435  Home: 9792 6998  |  How I hate the night.=94=20
-Marvin |