Subject: Re: booting custom kernel
To: None <charlie.root@pandora.be, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/2001 16:36:08
At 1:32 PM +0100 11/26/01, charlie.root@pandora.be wrote:

>Two things strike me as odd here; first, if some options are indeed
>mandatory to have a working kernel, why are they called options? and
>why is this not documented in the configuration file? (or anywhere
>else)

Because the definition of "mandatory" varies with configuration.

On a pre-quadra, you can boot a kernel which has no NCR SCSI
built-in, and you can boot a kernel that has no SBC SCSI
built-in...but you cannot boot a kernel with neither. But a Quadra
can boot a kernel with neither NCR nor SBC SCSI built-in, because
Quadras use the esp driver instead.

Ordinarily, when you're deciding on a kernel config file, open a copy
of the GENERIC or GENERIC-SBC file, and also, in another window, have
your dmesg open. There, you can see what systems you are currently
using, and use that as a baseline for turning off options. Also, you
shouldn't go around turning off options unless you actually know what
they do.

HTH
Mike
--