Subject: Re: Forcing 32-bit addressing in MacOS
To: None <ostampflee@telus.net>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/23/2001 17:26:30
Hi,

> Some of my LCIIs have a dead CMOS battery(and they're like $15 each(I
> only paid $40 for 5 LCIIs)) and the biggest problem I am having is automatically
> booting NetBSD...is there away to force 32-bit addressing(ie: turning
> it on, then rebooting) automatically?

Yes, it's really easy (but not exactly what you're looking for):
Go to Radio Shack and get a battery holder for two AAA batteries, and the
batteries. Take out the 1/2AA battery and solder the leads from the
battery holder to the contacts for the 1/2AA battery holder. Use double
sided foam tape to secure the AAA battery holder to something on the
motherboard.

Then your 32 bit mode issue goes away, and if you ever need to replace the
batteries again in 5-10 years, it'll be much cheaper.

Trust me - this is much easier than reprogramming the NVRAM on a SPARC
when the battery dies...

> So far I have NetBSD installed on 2 of them. Hopefully by the end of
> the weekend I will have it on all 5.

Great tiny machines - I'm up to seven Quadra 605s...

John
Sixgirls Computing Labs
--
Nobody suffers the pain of birth or the anguish of loving a child in order
for presidents to make wars, for governments to feed on the substance of