Subject: Re: Quadra 700 != Mac II
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/22/2001 10:18:16
Hello Gabriel!

  GR> Right. And I don't think you'll have to do anything
    > special with that machine. (Besides deal with the fact
    > that it's pig slow. ;^>)

Are you saying that the Quadra 700 will be pig slow?  It's
the fastest 68k Mac that I have :-/  It's only 25MHz, so I'm
not expecting blistering speed from it, and don't plan to
try running X.

  GR> If you're having trouble locating a tranceiver, email
    > me off the list. I may have a spare one lying around I
    > can let go for, like, a dollar over postage cost. (I
    > don't promise I actually still have an extra, but I'm
    > glad to check.)

Thanks.  I'll check locally and then drop you an email.

  GR> Haven't messed with Mac IIs and NetBSD, nor with the
    > DayStar cards 68030 cards at all, but skimming that
    > conversation made it sound like this was a
    > peculiarity of the cache structure of the DayStar
    > card, not the processor itself. So regular, un-
    > accelerated, macs should be fine without extra effort.

Well, I may give it a try on the Quadra 700 for a while, and
upgrade to something a wee bit faster later on.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.