Subject: Re: Quadra 700 != Mac II
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/2001 12:28:48
--d9ADC0YsG2v16Js0

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 10:42:37AM -0500, Andy Ball wrote:
> Sorry, my mind was wandering slightly and I didn't explain
> my situation clearly.  I obtained a Quadra 700 with the
> specific intention of running NetBSD on it.  I've installed
> a disk drive and it's basically ready to go.  I just need to
> add an AAUI 10BaseT transceiver.

Right. And I don't think you'll have to do anything special with
that machine. (Besides deal with the fact that it's pig slow. ;^>)

If you're having trouble locating a tranceiver, email me off the
list. I may have a spare one lying around I can let go for, like, a
dollar over postage cost. (I don't promise I actually still have an
extra, but I'm glad to check.)

> A collegue gave me a Mac II that turned out to be fitted
> with a Daystar 68030 processor upgrade.  I had asked about
> the possibility of running NetBSD on that machine, and was
> told that it may be necessary to disable the cache (at least
> until I'd patched up the kernel).  Hearing this prompted me
> to ask whether it was necessary to disable the cache on my
> Quadra 700.

Haven't messed with Mac IIs and NetBSD, nor with the DayStar cards
68030 cards at all, but skimming that conversation made it sound
like this was a peculiarity of the cache structure of the DayStar
card, not the processor itself. So regular, un-accelerated, macs
should be fine without extra effort.

Cheers...

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net