Subject: Re: Netatalk and Long Filenames
To: <>
From: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/2001 08:05:53
gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:

>Huh. That makes me wonder if these >32 character files are actually
>visibile to the finder, and then hidden by it, but could be seen on
>the Mac OS side using a tool like ResEdit. Might be an interesting
>experiment for the curious.

That is how MacOS 9 (and upper) works; you can set the file name > 31 chars using a special tool (the file is suffixed like #1244 or
so) but the Finder is not able to let you type more than 31 chars and do not displays them.
Works only on HFS+ formatted hard disk.

But this is only available for PPC users, not m68k users, hence not for us (even if PPC is nearly 8 years old) :(

Cheers,

Emile
“If I’d lived in Roman times, I’d lived in Rome.
Where else ?
Today America is the Roman Empire and New York is Rome itself.”

John Winston-Ono Lennon, early 70’s.