Subject: Re: Netatalk and Long Filenames
To: None <Martin.Leidig@ePost.de>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/2001 21:09:31
--Zvl510+jvRFHh8wJ

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 06:31:51PM +0100, Martin.Leidig@ePost.de wrote:
> What about the afaik Mac-typical shortening amidst the file name?. Thus,
> you'd get from the above something like that:
>=20
> Document Discus...rs Part 1 of 114
> Document Discus...rs Part 2 of 114
> Document Discus...rs Part 3 of 114

That's an interesting idea, but who's to say the original filenames
aren't something like this:

Document Discussion 001-20011122 Thursday
Document Discussion 002-20011122 Thursday
=2E..
(or similar)

Won't your scheme then collide? (You can't just assume that everyone
differentiates file names at the end...)

As I said, though, fixing this problem right is considerably less
trivial than just making some noise about it. But, hey, if someone's
got time, go for it.

Oh, and is that meant to be three separate periods (wasting three
characters!) or the single, Mac OS-specific elipsis character
(option-;)? The latter would be cool (and allow more of the original
name through), but I'm not sure I know how to make Netatalk spit it
out (or grok it on an incoming file, for that matter).

This is all getting pretty far away from port-mac68k. Interested
parties should perhaps subscribe to whatever Netatalk mailing lists
exist and take part there.

> Yes.  Also, Netatalk could put the long filenames into the files' finder
> comments, as some Mac ftp clients do it with URLs of downloaded files.

That's a good idea (provided Netatalk has a good way of getting at
those; they live in the resource fork, no? Is it safe to edit
AppleDouble-preserved resource forks on the fly?), but it doesn't
solve the problem of what to call them temporarily...

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--Zvl510+jvRFHh8wJ

--Zvl510+jvRFHh8wJ--