Subject: Re: What is *BSD? -- was: Re: Samba(and OSX off topic?)
To: None <Martin.Leidig@ePost.de>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/2001 21:00:59
--xdWF/UuCWMRSqXrg

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 06:21:51PM +0100, Martin.Leidig@ePost.de wrote:
> Huh?  I always thought *BSD was a couple of _real_ Unices, as opposed to =
Linux
> being the *nix-like OS!?  Could someone please correct me?  Thanks ...

In short, "Unix-like" is a term we use because, technically, it's
not Unix unless the owner of the Unix copyright labeled it such.

NetBSD derives from 4.3BSD NET/2, FreeBSD derives from 386 BSD 0.1
(which derives from 4.3BSD NET/2). So, yeah, lots of the code comes
from what was once referred to as BSD Unix. But after the flap that
caused with AT&T...

Anyway, Linux isn't totally out of the blue. It's arguably based on
Minix (though don't argue that too loudly in certain circles), which
is (again, arguably) based on UNIX Time-Sharing System Seventh
Edition, not to be confused with UNIX System V, a completely
different branch of the tree.

Have a look at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/history.html for
a wider-angle shot of the family than /usr/share/misc/bsd-family-tree
gives.

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--xdWF/UuCWMRSqXrg