Subject: Re: Mac II be or not II be?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/2001 13:00:58
> : Someone recently lobbed in my general direction a Mac II
> : that turned out to be fitted with a Daystar 68030 based
> : processor upgrade.  I'm not sure that it's something I'd
> : want to do, but I'm wondering whether such a creature is
> : capable of running NetBSD/mac68k.  The upgrade does not have
> : a 68882 on board, but has a PGA socket for one.
>
> Hm.  I have one of those upgrade boards that isn't in a Mac.  The
> NetBSD/mac68k FAQ pages list these as working, but there are notes that you
> may have to disable the cache in the MacOS boot partition.  There's still an
> open PR about the cache (port-mac68k/6112).

My IIci has a Daystar 50MHz '030 PowerCache + FPU fitted. It will not boot
the standard kernel without the cache being turned off in the PowerCache
control panel. I applied patches to my 1.4.2 kernel to get it to run with
cache on, and it seems happy. You can indeed run the standard kernel with
cache off, but I got nearly identical benchmarks with the card in and out,
which means the patch seems nearly essential for correct performance.

> : Would NetBSD be happier on this machine if I removed the 68030 upgrade?
>
> I'm pretty sure that the on-board '020 would be slower than the Daystar
> '030, even without the Daystar's external cache being enabled.

I don't know about '020 -> '030, but at least on my IIci, with cache off
and the standard kernel, as stated above I got no significant performance
gain.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- I see nothing! Nothing! -- Sgt. Schultz, "Hogan's Heroes" ------------------