Subject: Re: pppd answer dial in calls
To: Donald Lee <donlee_68k@icompute.com>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@shell.spacestar.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/2001 17:28:41
On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 1:20 AM, Donald Lee <mailto:donlee_68k@icompute.com>
wrote:
>>Add to: /etc/ppp/peers/answer
>>
>> modem                          # use full modem control
>> cdtrcts                        # use hardware flow control on Mac's
>
>Three things:
>
>1. "modem" doesn't work on macs.  this option mostly causes pppd
>to pay attention to the CD line on the serial port.  The DIN-8 connector
>on Macs does not connect CD.  If you try to use it, you'll get
>flaky stuff to happen, or it won't work.  I don't remember.

1) In my experience ( IIci NetBSD-1.3) modem does work.
I have never included  modem  without  cdtrcts  and
I have no flaky stuff to report.

2) CD is connected on most Macs that run NetBSD.

RS-422 mini-circular 8 pin connectors:
[snip]
Pin - Signal
  7 -  GPi   (General-Purpose input); connected to SCC Data
    Carrier Detect (or to Receive/Transmit Clock if the VIA1
    SYNC signal is high). Not connected on the Macintosh Plus,
    Classic, Classic II, LC, LC II, or IIsi.

------------
old:
The two serial ports used on Macintosh computers since the Macintosh
Plus are
       RS-422 mini-circular 8 pin connectors:
       Pin Signal
       1 - HSKo (Data Terminal Ready)
       2 - HSKi (Clear To Send)
       3 - TxD- (Transmit Data -)
       4 - GND (Ground)
       5 - RxD- (Receive Data -)
       6 - TxD+ (Transmit Data +)
       7 - GPi (General-Purpose input); connected to SCC Data Carrier
       		 Detect (or to Receive/Transmit Clock if the VIA1 SYNC signal
       		 is high). Not connected on the Macintosh Plus, Classic,
       		 Classic II, LC, LC II, or IIsi.
       8 - RxD+ (Receive Data +)  The space is between pin 4 and 5

The following are the GeoPort Telecom Adapter Mini-DIN 9 pin
assignments:
 (where they differ from Mini-DIN 8 pin )
Standard GeoPort   DMA GeoPort       Non-DMA
      Definition    Definition    Definition
       1  HSK(0) POD RESET/ATT POD RESET/ATT
       7  GPi(A)   WAKEUP/TxHS        Unused
       9  +5 VDC      DC Power      DC Power

http://til.info.apple.com/tilarchive.nsf/artnum/n1699
http://til.info.apple.com/tilarchive.nsf/artnum/n6703

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.
 NetBSD runs on  44 different system architectures featuring 16
 distinct families of CPUs.   http://www.netbsd.org/