Subject: Re: Netatalk and Long Filenames
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/2001 17:06:24
--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:30:28PM -0800, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> I would strongly prefer it didn't willy-nilly truncate. What if you had
> filenames like
>=20
> Document Discussing Some Inane Topic Of More than 32 Characters Part 1 of=
 114
> Document Discussing Some Inane Topic Of More than 32 Characters Part 2 of=
 114
> Document Discussing Some Inane Topic Of More than 32 Characters Part 3 of=
 114
> :
> :
> etc.
>=20
> You couldn't come up with a general rule for truncation in that regard
> unless you resort to filth like MICROS~1's long file name kludge.

Well, sure, but even MICROS~1ianness is better that hiding the file
and making no mention that it's been hidden.

I think the best thing to do is to log a message specifying the
file and maybe also include a note in the documentation somewhere
suggesting that those setting up Netatalk on an extent file system
use find(1) to check for files with names longer than 32 chars (and
maybe do that check as a cron job if other OSes besides MacOS have
access to the same file system).

Of course, I've talked a lot about this, but I don't use Netatalk
actively nor have I the time/interest to fix this. If it's still
broken when I do decide I want Netatalk, though, I'll put my code
where my mouth is then.

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM