Subject: Re: pppd answer dial in calls
To: T&B" , "port mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@shell.spacestar.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/2001 23:51:14
On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 5:40 PM, T&B <mailto:list.mac68k@tandb.com.au> wrote:
>5) The /var/log/messages log file includes the date and time, but the
custom /
>var/log/pppanswer log does not. I need to use the custom file since it
only
>records the pppd data and since it doesn't turn over, but I need the time
and
>date stamps.

The time stamps are from syslog.

1) You can run:
   tail -F /var/log/messages | grep pppd >> /var/log/ppp

2) But you should be able to use the login command to add users
   to the wtmp database.

Add to: /etc/ppp/peers/answer
login

PPPD(8)
Typically,  when  using  the login
option, the secret in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets  would  be  "",
which  will match any password supplied by the peer.  This
avoids the need to have the same secret in two places.

Then read:  ac(8), newsyslog(8).

3) Read: pppd(8)
   about /etc/ppp/auth-up and /etc/ppp/auth-down

eg. /etc/ppp/auth-down
#!/bin/sh
# interface-name peer-name user-name tty-device speed

echo  $(date) " peer: " ${2} " user: " ${3} ${4} ${CONNECT_TIME} \
      >>/etc/ppp/time-ppp

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.
 NetBSD runs on  44 different system architectures featuring 16
 distinct families of CPUs.   http://www.netbsd.org/