Subject: Re: Netatalk and Long Filenames
To: Brian Heath <brian_heath@mac.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/2001 23:55:53
>I know that this isn't the Netatalk list, but I'm hoping someone can help
>me out a little bit none the less. I've recently shared 2 Gb's worth of
>mp3 files from my NetBSD machine via Netatalk. The unfortunate part is,
>out of 566 files, my Mac's (1 OS 8.6 machine and 1 OS 10.1.1 machine) can
>only see 16 files. After much deliberation, I've finally figured out that
>it is a long filename problem. The only files I can see on my Mac's are
>the ones that have less then 32 characters in their filenames. The other
>ones just never appear. If I rename a file to have less then 32
>characters in its filename, it then appears.
>
>I'm hoping someone can tell me how I can tell Netatalk to just truncate
>the name or something like that. I just want to see the files. Its
>especially annoying on OS 10.1, which does 256 character names! It still
>can't see them. So I'm assuming that Netatalk is just not allowing them
>to be seen.

I believe that it is an AFP 2 issue. While OSX can use longer
filenames, AFP pre-OSX cannot (and netatalk is pre-OSX). So I think
that you can't do an AFP connection, other than OSX-to-OSX and get
longer filenames. You also cannot transfer any files that are larger
than 2GB. These are both very new additions to the AFP protocol, and
are only supported in OSX (the 2GB filesize limit was removed from
HFS+ and OS9 can use larger files, but AFP cannot).

One way around it for the OSX machine would be to connect via NFS to
the NetBSD box instead of connecting via AFP. I have only used
NetAtalk for material that originated on a Mac (pre-OSX) so I haven't
run into the naming issue. So I don't know if there's a "force
compatible names" type switch for it.

Sorry,
Mike
--