Subject: Netatalk and Long Filenames
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Heath <brian_heath@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/2001 20:05:45
I know that this isn't the Netatalk list, but I'm hoping someone can help
me out a little bit none the less. I've recently shared 2 Gb's worth of
mp3 files from my NetBSD machine via Netatalk. The unfortunate part is,
out of 566 files, my Mac's (1 OS 8.6 machine and 1 OS 10.1.1 machine) can
only see 16 files. After much deliberation, I've finally figured out that
it is a long filename problem. The only files I can see on my Mac's are
the ones that have less then 32 characters in their filenames. The other
ones just never appear. If I rename a file to have less then 32
characters in its filename, it then appears.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how I can tell Netatalk to just truncate
the name or something like that. I just want to see the files. Its
especially annoying on OS 10.1, which does 256 character names! It still
can't see them. So I'm assuming that Netatalk is just not allowing them
to be seen.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Brian Heath