Subject: Booter net-booting
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/2001 02:19:12
Hi,

a while back, during a kernel debug session, I finally had enough.

Build a kernel, rcp it to the netatalk server, reboot the "sandbox' Mac,
mount the net volume, copy over the kernel, boot... Developing on mac68k
takes its time, but it need not be that slow.

So, I sat down, banged on the Booter 1.11.3 sources until they built with
MPW and added a netboot option via dhcp/bootp and tftp.

Netbooting a headless Macintosh to NetBSD

1) Get the modified booter from
	"ftp://la.causeuse.org/pub/macbsd/Booter_1.11.3_nboot.sea.bin"
(sources are there, too)

2) Set up a dhcp (preferred) or BOOTP server (for a general background on
netbooting have a look at
        "http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/")

Enable dhcpd in /etc/rc.conf and add something like the following
snippet to /etc/dhcpd.conf:

<snip>

  # BOOTP clients
  group {
    server-name "bootpserver.my.domain";
    next-server bootpserver.my.domain;
    use-host-decl-names on;

    # Macintosh SE/30
    host morrissey {
      hardware ethernet aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff;
      fixed-address morrissey;
      filename "netbsd.15";
    }
  }

</snip>

3) Set up a tftp server: Enable tftp in /etc/inetd.conf (probably
protecting access by ipfilter and/or hosts.deny rules, if you happen to be
on a public network):

<snip>

tftp dgram udp wait root /usr/libexec/tftpd tftpd -l -s /var/spool/tftpboot

</snip>

4) Switch MacTCP (or OpenTransport TCP) to use the BOOTP or dhcp server for
IP setup.

5) Install the booter as startup application, enable

Have fun,

	hauke

--
/~\ The ASCII	                   "Those who are willing to sacrifice
\ / Ribbon Campaign                 essential liberties for a little order