Subject: Re: pppd answer dial in calls
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@shell.spacestar.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/2001 22:54:29
On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 9:37 AM, Donald Lee <mailto:donlee_68k@icompute.com>
wrote:
>The only thing about this setup that looks odd to me is the IP
>address of "0.0.0.0".  This may be a wildcard, but as I recall
>from the code, it would most likely try to use this IP, which is
>probably not what you want.  If you want to allow it to default,
>then use nothing, i.e. ":192.168.2.58".

0.0.0.0 = "this host" and is just fine.

You should use lcp-* instead of idle to detect a dropped connection.

man pppd(8)

      require-chap
              Require the peer to authenticate itself using  CHAP
              [Challenge   Handshake   Authentication   Protocol]
              authentication.

       require-pap
              Require the peer to authenticate itself  using  PAP
              [Password  Authentication Protocol] authentication.

       auth   Require  the  peer  to  authenticate  itself before
              allowing network packets to be  sent  or  received.
              This  option  is  the  default  if the system has a
              default route.  If  neither  this  option  nor  the
              noauth  option  is  specified, pppd will only allow
              the peer to use IP addresses to  which  the  system
              does not already have a route.

       lcp-echo-failure n
              If this option is given, pppd will presume the peer
              to  be dead if n LCP echo-requests are sent without
              receiving a valid LCP echo-reply.  If this happens,
              pppd  will  terminate  the connection.  Use of this
              option requires a non-zero value for the  lcp-echo-
              interval  parameter.   This  option  can be used to
              enable pppd to terminate after the physical connec-
              tion  has been broken (e.g., the modem has hung up)
              in situations where no hardware modem control lines
              are available.

       lcp-echo-interval n
              If  this  option  is  given,  pppd will send an LCP
              echo-request frame to the  peer  every  n  seconds.
              Normally  the  peer  should  respond  to  the echo-
              request by sending an echo-reply.  This option  can
              be  used with the lcp-echo-failure option to detect
              that the peer is no longer connected.

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.
 NetBSD runs on  44 different system architectures featuring 16
 distinct families of CPUs.   http://www.netbsd.org/