Subject: Re: pppd answer dial in calls
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_68k@icompute.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/2001 09:37:25
>> I have dial-in working.  All mu pap-secrets entries are of the form
>>
>> name	*	""	*
>>
>> I've never figured out how to use the third field, but when I put
>> something there, I get trouble.
>
>So does that mean that, like me, you have ppp dial in working and answering calls, but it is not checking passwords or logging who called?

No.  We're a (very small) ISP, and this is how our dial-in customers get
to the net.  Their unix login/passwd is the PPP authentication,
and record of their passing shows up in wtmp (see last(1)) and in
/var/log/messages.

>> auth and login let you authenticate with the normal unix user/passwd.
>
>So, does that mean that I should not be using either of those commands, since I just want pppd to check the chap-secrets file? So, how do I make it check the chap-secrets file?

I don't know.  Sorry.

>This is driving me crazy, so I would really appreciate some help.
>
>My peers/answer file is currently:
>
>init 'chat -f /etc/ppp/chat/answer'
>0.0.0.0:192.168.2.58
>netmask 255.255.255.255
>persist
>logfile /var/log/pppanswer
>passive
>tty00 57600
>lock
>idle 600
>maxconnect 3600
>show-password
>
>and my chap-secrets file just contains:
>
>tom             tom       "welc1"
>
>where welc1 is my password.

The only thing about this setup that looks odd to me is the IP
address of "0.0.0.0".  This may be a wildcard, but as I recall
from the code, it would most likely try to use this IP, which is
probably not what you want.  If you want to allow it to default,
then use nothing, i.e. ":192.168.2.58".

-dgl-