Subject: Re: xdm & Color
To: Paul Thompson <paul@abyss.co.nz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/2001 11:41:37
On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Paul Thompson wrote:

> I recently re-built my Quadra 650 with NetBSD 1.5.0. It installs and runs
> well. I configured XDM and that works great in 1bpp mode with the black and
> white Xwindows. However if I install the colour X, XDM logs in then, dumps
> the user and re-presents the login window. XDM error log reports:

I think that's normal -- the xdm-style authentication will fail,
because the server doesn't support it, but then "xdm" is supposed to
fall back to the mit-style authentication.

> If I don't use XDM, and use startx from the command prompt,  colour X
> windows works well.

It might help to find exactly what is failing. You can put "echo"
commands in "$HOME/.xsession" to see exactly how far it's getting.
(They'll echo to "$HOME/.xsession-errors".) If "xdm" isn't even
executing "$HOME/.xsession at all", first make sure the file is
"chmod a+x", and if that's not it, you could doctor
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession" (or wherever you have
"DisplayManager*session" pointing to in "xdm-config") ahead of where
it execs "$HOME/.xsession". If all else fails, you could slip "xhost
+localhost" somewhere into the session start-up sequence.

Frederick