Subject: good kernel hunting
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@apple.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/2001 12:28:22
Yesterday, ftp.mklinux.org (Q800 running NetBSD-mac68k) had to be moved
yesterday along with everything else in the room, and plugged it back
together and it wouldn't boot.  Brought it home and it booted.  Took it
back and it didn't boot again.  Thought maybe it was the keyboard, since
I got an MRG panic one time.  Reset PRAM.  Repeatedly.  Same problem.
Accidentally pulled out (and broke) the interrupt button on the front
while trying to remove the case just in case the interrupt button was
stuck in.  No change.  Added a keyboard.  No go.  Upgraded to a -current
kernel.  Same issue.  Finally, in desperation, probably a hundred
reboots later, I was about to disconnect the keyboard to plug it back
into the MkLinux box and take the machine back home, and saw the serial
cables....

For whatever reason, the serial port speeds of the two machines didn't
match, and it looked enough like a break that the NetBSD box randomly
dropped into the debugger....  (Which also means that I have the ports
configured backwards, but that's another issue.)

Does anyone have or know a location for a kernel that is configured
_without_ the break-trips-debugger option?  Ideally, something between
1.4 and 1.4.1 in vintage, but anything from there on is fine.  I'll deal
with upgrading ps, top, etc. later.  :-)

Thanks,
David