Subject: Re: FS: A/UX 3.01
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/2001 16:19:59
At 5:56 PM -0600 11/6/01, Bob Nestor wrote:
>On 11/6/01 5:46 PM, Henry B. Hotz (hotz@jpl.nasa.gov) wrote:

>>>Yah but that's called piracy.
>>
>>Maybe technically, but there isn't a single thing about A/UX that
>>Apple still has any interest in AFAIK.  The software is no longer for
>>sale;  no longer supported.  It doesn't run on any machines that have
>>been for sale in more than 10 years.  I don't see any reason Apple
>>would care.
>
>Apple may still care because not defending their license on this old
>product sets a legal precident that dilutes their licenses on current

*sigh* Yes.  Of course the availability and number of copies
downloaded would have to be something that Apple actually knows about.

>products.  If they really didn't care legally they should/would release
>the software as they did with MacOS 7.5.  Given that A/UX isn't available
>from Apple in any form I'd be careful about posting it for others to
>download.

What pressure I know of that was brought to bear on Apple was for the
release of source code.  In any case I'm not the one making it
available for download.  Frankly NetBSD is superior to A/UX in enough
ways that I would rather use it than A/UX.  The main thing it did
that NetBSD won't do is exactly what OSX does:  run MacOS apps and
Unix apps at the same time.  I admit it did that better for its time
than OSX does now, but time does move on.  And NetBSD has moved on,
even on m68k Mac's, while A/UX hasn't.

Following disclaimer applies double for this thread.