Subject: Re: FS: A/UX 3.01
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/2001 17:56:41
On 11/6/01 5:46 PM, Henry B. Hotz (hotz@jpl.nasa.gov) wrote:

>At 1:43 PM -0700 11/6/01, Michael Bartosh wrote:
>>On Friday, November 2, 2001, at 04:27 PM, Louis-Philippe Lessard wrote:
>>
>>>And I also like to point out that you can download it for free on
>>>hotline://retromac68k.dyndns.org.
>>>login: retro
>>>pass: retro
>>

>>Yah but that's called piracy.
>
>Maybe technically, but there isn't a single thing about A/UX that
>Apple still has any interest in AFAIK.  The software is no longer for
>sale;  no longer supported.  It doesn't run on any machines that have
>been for sale in more than 10 years.  I don't see any reason Apple
>would care.

Apple may still care because not defending their license on this old
product sets a legal precident that dilutes their licenses on current
products.  If they really didn't care legally they should/would release
the software as they did with MacOS 7.5.  Given that A/UX isn't available
from Apple in any form I'd be careful about posting it for others to
download.

-bob