Subject: Re: apache performances
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9r=F4me?= Duquennoy <jduquennoy@mac.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/2001 17:08:36
> Yes, I know that the upload is limited whith the ADSL, but it is
> limited to about 15ko/sec. This is not realy bad IMO ...
> My web page take no fewer than 30sec to load from a t1 connected
> comuter, whereas DreamWeaver evaluate the needed time to 9 sec whith
> a 56k modem and 17 sec with a 24.4 one.
> I think my connection is not the probleme...

This may indicate that you have a DNS problem. Is Apache configured to log
hostnames, or just the IP? If it's set up to do hostnames, then Apache
will try to look up the reverse DNS for each address trying to contact it.

You have DNS or host entries for your internal network's machines, I'm
guessing; try adding a host entry for a machine on the Internet and see if
that machine can browse quickly. If it can, then the reverse DNS for that
machine doesn't resolve, which is quite common because ISPs don't care
about quality anymore.

If it's not that, you may want to see if ipfilter is allowing for multiple
connections for incoming port 80. Do an "ipnat -l" on the IP NAT machines
while browsing; the server and browser should open a number of port 80
connections at the same time. If it's only opening one at a time, that
might be a problem.

Good luck,
John Klos