Subject: Re: pppd answer dial in calls
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: T&B <list.mac68k@tandb.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/2001 22:50:21
>> I've got incoming call answering working, but it does not care
>> if the password is wrong and does not log the name of the user.

>> I have:
>>
>># cat peers/answer
>>
>> init 'chat -f /etc/ppp/chat/answer'
>> 192.168.2.253:192.168.2.56
>
> 0.0.0.0:192.168.2.56
> lock
> netmask 255.255.255.255

That works too but did not enforce the password requirement nor log the user name.

>> If I add the "auth" option to the peers/answer file, I get:
>>
>> "The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I
>>  couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
>>  (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)"
>>
>> even though I have in my chap-secrets file:
>>
>># Dial in:
>> tom             *       password   *
>>

> You did? chmod 600 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets;  chown root:wheel pap-secrets

yes and yes.

> 1) Use only three fields.

The man page says that the fourth field is for allowed ip addresses. I have tried with and without the fourth field, in response to the "None ... let it use an IP address" error. I still get this error either way, when trying to use the auth option.

> 2) The order of entries in the file makes a difference,
>    and case is significant,
>    place outbound accounts first then local. eg.

Yes, I have all that, thanks. I use lower case at both ends.

Any other ideas? Has anyone got pppd dial in answering working? Mine answers and routes etc but doesn't check passwords or log the user name. Can you send me a copy of your config files or point me to some documentation specifically about answering incoming calls?

Thanks,
Tom
T&B