Subject: Re: pppd answer dial in calls
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_68k@icompute.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/2001 09:18:39
I had machines servicing dial-in users for quite a while.  A
few pointers:

	o You have to use "local".  There is no CD line (Carrier Detect)
	on the serial ports, so pppd can't tell when the modem
	has "answered".  It can only listen to the data
	coming in.

	o pppd behaves differently (I don't remember exactly how)
	when it has an "init" script, in ways that are not
	quite what you expect.  Given the above,  I would
	not bother with the init script.

	o I found that pppd can detect a dialup without any
	"support" (connect, disconnect, etc).  However, I
	had trouble from time to time where the modem
	got stuck at a different serial speed than the serial line.
	The "auto-baud" modem needs a return char, I think, to
	figure out the speed.

	o Make sure that the "echo" is OFF on the modem.
	I put this in in the powerup NVRAM instead of
	trying to ensure that the modem got an init string
	from the serial line.

I never tried dial-out/demand.

Good luck,

-dgl-