Subject: Re: What is a "Printer description file"?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/2001 16:59:26
At 3:08 PM -0500 10/28/01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 11:00:48AM -0800, Space Case wrote:
>>  Huh.  I guess I missed the first part of the conversation; I thought
>>  someone was looking for it...
>
>Oh, no, someone does, and is probably quite grateful. So don't
>delete that file. :^>
>
>My whole line was that I rememberd setting up a LW Select on the
>other side of a Linux machine running netatalk five or six years
>ago, not being able to come up with a PPD for the printer, just
>using the Generic LW 8 driver, and being fine.

Yes, generic will always work...you just can't choose from various
options that the printer has.

>  > Dunno.  FWIW, I have over 600 PPD's.  Not all of them are for printers.
>>  Some cover such pseudo-printers as Acrobat Distiller.  Besides, what
>>  does the network connection (or serial connection) matter?  The PPD
>>  gives the output characteristics of the printer so that the printing
>>  software can layout the page properly.  What surprises me is that I
>>  *don't* have one for the ImageWriter...
>
>Well, PPDs didn't really come into the Mac OS scheme of things until
>networked printers and the LW 8 driver. Just whether the LW Selects
>predate that or not is questionable. I figured that they (like the
>ImageWriters) wouldn't have PPDs, so I didn't look too hard.

Actually, the ImageWriter II *was* a network printer (there was a
LocalTalk card available for it). There's also PPDs for the original
LaserWriter, so the LW Select's date is irrelevant.

But what is relevant is that the ImageWriter does not use a
PostScript driver...PPD is a PostScript thing.

>You have StyleWriter PPDs?

Also a QuickDraw-only device, so PPDs shouldn't be relevant.

Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.