Subject: Re: What is a "Printer description file"?
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/2001 15:08:52
--Km1U/tdNT/EmXiR1

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 11:00:48AM -0800, Space Case wrote:
> Huh.  I guess I missed the first part of the conversation; I thought
> someone was looking for it...

Oh, no, someone does, and is probably quite grateful. So don't
delete that file. :^>

My whole line was that I rememberd setting up a LW Select on the
other side of a Linux machine running netatalk five or six years
ago, not being able to come up with a PPD for the printer, just
using the Generic LW 8 driver, and being fine.

> Dunno.  FWIW, I have over 600 PPD's.  Not all of them are for printers.
> Some cover such pseudo-printers as Acrobat Distiller.  Besides, what
> does the network connection (or serial connection) matter?  The PPD
> gives the output characteristics of the printer so that the printing
> software can layout the page properly.  What surprises me is that I
> *don't* have one for the ImageWriter...

Well, PPDs didn't really come into the Mac OS scheme of things until
networked printers and the LW 8 driver. Just whether the LW Selects
predate that or not is questionable. I figured that they (like the
ImageWriters) wouldn't have PPDs, so I didn't look too hard.

You have StyleWriter PPDs?

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--Km1U/tdNT/EmXiR1