Subject: Re: What is a "Printer description file"?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/2001 11:00:48
On Oct 28,  1:47pm, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 10:45:55AM -0800, Space Case wrote:
>> I have one, titled LaserWriter-Select 310 v52.5l
>Well, bully for you. Where were you six years ago when I needed it?
>;^>

Huh.  I guess I missed the first part of the conversation; I thought
someone was looking for it...

>Seriously, why *does* this printer have a PPD? Am I remembering
>incorrectly, or is the LW Select 310 driver on MacOS not strictly
>serial port?

Dunno.  FWIW, I have over 600 PPD's.  Not all of them are for printers.
Some cover such pseudo-printers as Acrobat Distiller.  Besides, what
does the network connection (or serial connection) matter?  The PPD
gives the output characteristics of the printer so that the printing
software can layout the page properly.  What surprises me is that I
*don't* have one for the ImageWriter...

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to do.