Subject: Re: What is a "Printer description file"?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/2001 12:53:12
On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Seriously, why *does* this printer have a PPD? Am I remembering
> incorrectly, or is the LW Select 310 driver on MacOS not strictly
> serial port?

I thought PPDs were for all PostScript printers... they have info on the
printer's capabilities, such as available DPI settings, built-in fonts,
RAM, paper sizes, etc... even if Apple's own driver hardcodes this info
rather than getting it from the PPD, I think a lot of other programs
(PageMaker, Illustrator?) like to read the PPD.