Subject: Re: What is a "Printer description file"?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/2001 13:14:02
--1sNVjLsmu1MXqwQ/

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 12:14:51PM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> You also need the same PPD on the *BSD side in netatalk specified in=20
> the papd.conf file.

=2E.. but there may well be no "correct" PPD for the LaserWriter
Select 310, as it was never intended to be a network printer, rather
just a serial one. (Apple only seems to want to use PPDs for
printers that run through the LaserWriter 8 driver, the Selects
didn't.)

LaserWriter 8 should communicate just fine with your LW Select on
the other side of a NetBSD box. If it's already working, don't shake
the boat.

(At one point I was using a LW Select 310 on the other side of a
Linux box running netatalk. I don't remember the details of the set
up, but I'm pretty sure we were just using the Generic LW driver on
the macs printing to it.)

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--1sNVjLsmu1MXqwQ/