Subject: in-kernel pppoe woes
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: pascal <netinet@freesurf.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/2001 00:09:30
Hello all,

I am new to both netbsd & mac. I recently inherited a Centris 650 mac
with netbsd 1.5.2. installed, and set it up as a firewall  ...
Using rp-pppoe, I am clearly CPU bound on the mac. So I tried to use in
kernel pppoe:

I managed to cross-compile (on a 386 box) a -current kernel with pppoe
activated, and boot on it;
I compiled (on the mac) the pppoectl utility, and tried to setup a pppoe
link.

but I cannot manage to get pppoectl talk to the kernel properly :
ifconfig pppoe0 create is OK.
pppoectl -e ae1 pppoe0 is OK
but:
pppoectl pppoe0 myauthproto=pap ... , fails :
I get  SIOCGIFGENERIC(SPPPIOGDEFS) : Invalid Argument.

From what I saw in the code (& the mailing list  archive) this indicates
that
the userland and the kernel do not agree about the struct spppreq size ...

So the questions :

    - is there a snapshot of a pppoe capable mac68k netbsd ?
    - if not, does somebody know how to correctly  compile pppoectl , or the
reasons why
    the structure size may differ between the kernel & the userland ?
    For the moment I (optimistically) untarred usr.sbin and typed make under
usr.sbin/isdn/ispppcontrol. Clearly that did not make it ...

    And last :
        Is it possible to boot on an alternate kernel from the booter, using
only the keyboard , or do I have to invest in an adb mouse ? (I borrowed one
to recover from my first cross-compile attempt :-) )

Please help , the netbsd build environment seems to have a steep learning
curve for
the newcomer ...

Thanks in advance,
Pascal Dameme.