Subject: Some Help Debugging lpd with MacOS 9 printing.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/2001 17:58:19
First I *have* applied the patch from bin/14247 to support the 'o'
option used by OSX.  This is a different problem.

I create a desktop printer under OS9 with the desktop printer
utility;  tell it that it's an lpr printer with queue RAW at the
right IP address.  I've done this with HP JetDirect interfaces and it
works.  I've done this with Solaris 2.5 and it doesn't because it
doesn't know it's a Postscript file instead of a text file, but it's
OK otherwise.

In this case the Mac opens the connection, sends 6 bytes of data and
the NetBSD server closes the connection.  No print job log, no
nothing.

How do I debug this?  The -d option on lpd?  Is there some way to
make tcpdump actually show the packet contents and not just the
decoded headers?

I do have printing working BTW.  The netatalk package has improved
enormously since I last used it 3 years ago under Solaris.  (Or maybe
that's because I'm using NetBSD instead of Solaris?)  I still don't
know how to get it started automatically since the package doesn't
seem to document that.  I expect I can find the intended mechanism
eventually, or just fake it.